Top tips for all shapes
How do I emphasise my best assets?
Most people have parts of their body that they like more than other areas. Focal points can be used to draw the eye towards a particular part of your body that you favour and so the attention is drawn away from parts of your body you are less confident about. One way you can create focal points is with the use of colour. Generally, your eye will naturally be drawn to the lightest or brightest area. Therefore as a general rule of thumb, wear darker, plainer clothes on the areas you want to hide and lighter, patterned clothes on the areas you want to show off. The other way is to create specific focal points using accessories, such as a necklace, or a specific feature on a garment, such as a bow or corsage.
How do I find my proportions?
You either have a body longer than your legs, legs longer than your body or are equally proportioned. To find out which one you are you need a piece of string or ribbon and someone to help you.
- Hold the ribbon to your knicker line, ask your friend to take the ribbon all the way down to the bottom of your foot and make a mark where it reaches to.
- Keeping hold of the ribbon by your knicker line ask them to lift the ribbon up to the top of your head.
- If the mark comes higher than your head then you have legs longer than your body. If the mark comes lower than your head then you have a body longer than your legs. If the mark comes to the top of your head then you are equally proportioned.
Not many of us are equally proportioned, but with the right clothes, we can create the illusion that we are if we want to!
If my legs are longer than my body, what clothes would give the illusion of length in the body or give the illusion of shortening the legs?
- Tops with vertical stripes can make the body look longer
- Long necklaces can make the body look longer
- V neck tops can make the body look longer
- Cropped trousers can make the legs appear shorter because the eye is drawn to the hem line giving the illusion that is where the leg ends
- Belts the same colour as your top can make your body look longer
- Low-waisted trousers can make your body look longer
- Tunic tops can make your body look longer and your legs shorter
- Skirts with leggings can make your legs look shorter because the legs are cut off at the skirt hem line and then again at the leggings
If my legs are shorter than my body, what clothes would give the illusion of shortening the body or give the illusion of length in the legs?
- Short necklaces can make the body look shorter
- Tops with horizontal stripes can make the body look shorter
- A belt the same colour as your skirt/trousers can make your legs appear longer
- Cropped jackets can make your legs appear longer
- Full length trousers can make your legs appear longer
- Skirt, tights and shoes the same colour can make your legs appear longer
Remember, this is only a guide, we all have our own wardrobe personality and ultimately you should wear whatever you think makes you look and feel fabulous!